Search for a Wisconsin attorney
Need more information?
Looking for reduced cost resources?
If you have a legal problem and you're looking for an attorney or other legal assistance in Wisconsin, the State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is here to help you figure out if you need to hire a lawyer, and how to proceed if you do.
- Find a lawyer: You can search for an attorney by geographical location and area of legal practice.
- Need more information? Call us at 1-800-362-9082. We’re here to listen to your situation, help you figure out if you need a lawyer and how to proceed. We can also help you to find law related resources which can provide information and assistance before you hire an attorney.
- Lawyer Referral: Lawyers referred through LRIS will charge no more than $20 for your first consultation up to one half-hour. After you receive your referral, call the attorney's office to schedule an appointment. Be sure to tell the attorney that you were referred by the State Bar's Lawyer Referral and Information Service.
- Low Cost Options: If you cannot pay an attorney’s fees or are looking for other legal resources, please click here for more information on low cost legal options and resources.
LRIS is a public service to help identify the most appropriate resource for consumers with legal problems. State Bar of Wisconsin members may opt to pay an annual fee to be on a panel of attorneys who receive referrals. Panel members agree to charge no more than $20 for the first 30 minutes of consultation and to pay LRIS a referral fee of 10 percent of any fee over $200 that they collect from referrals. Panel members may not increase their fees to cover any part of the LRIS membership or referral fee. Panel members may accept referrals in any field of law in which they consider themselves competent. LRIS does not warrant that panel attorneys have any special expertise in the area of law for which a client was referred.
Memorandum RE: Public access to legal information and services during COVID-19 pandemic
March 19, 2020
The State Bar Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is operating from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Mon through Fri. Please contact the service online or by phone during business hours for assistance:
1 (800) 362-9082
Listed below are other possible legal resources available to the public:
Free Legal Clinics:
- WI Free Legal Answers online - for civil legal matters visit https://wi.freelegalanswers.org/
- State Bar of WI Lawyer Hotline: please contact the hotline at 1 (800) 362-9082
- (Legal Action of Wisconsin not taking new cases at this time)
- (Judicare has closed its office to the public at this time)
- Court clinics please see county court orders Wicourts.gov
- Wicourts.gov court announcements and cases are available for each county on its home page COVID-19 tab
- Some county courts, including Milwaukee and Dane have issued orders regarding suspension of eviction hearings. Please check wicourts.gov COVID-19 tab for each county’s current status.
- United Way: call 211