Candidate for Treasurer
Timothy J. O'Brien
Bakke Norman SC, New Richmond
Email: com tobrien bakkenorman bakkenorman tobrien com
I have been a member of the State Bar’s Leadership Development Committee for many years. That committee encourages members to become more involved in the work of the Association. When the Nominating Committee contacted me to consider running for Treasurer, my initial reaction was that I am not the person you need reviewing the Bar’s balance sheets. Frankly, I’m more comfortable looking at the big picture than sweating the details. But then I realized that if I’m going to ask others to be involved, I should practice what I preach.
I also came to the realization that I do have something to offer. I have been an owner of a business that has evolved from three attorneys and a small support staff to 12 attorneys, 15 support staff and two offices. Along the way, we’ve expanded to as many as 16 attorneys and five offices, sold and constructed office buildings, acquired an accounting business, set up a title insurance practice and managed to gather together a great group of people with whom to work.
As Treasurer, I promise to do more than review balance sheets. I will bring the perspective of a person who has tried to balance upholding the ideals of our profession with running a business, staying active in my community with being a good father and spouse, and serving my clients with a life outside the office. I would be honored to serve as your Treasurer.
Tim O’Brien is a trial lawyer. He represents individuals accused of serious crimes such as homicide, drug offenses and sexual assault. His civil trial practice concentrates on helping persons injured in motor vehicle accidents and disputes arising between businesses or their owners. He has also tried cases in state and federal court on matters ranging from intoxicated driving allegations to employment claims to copyright and trademark disputes. He is certified as both a Civil Pretrial and Trial Specialist by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. He has been selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers six times. His AVVO rating is “superb.”
Tim has held many leadership positions with the State Bar of Wisconsin. He has been the chairperson of the Litigation Section and is currently a member of the Leadership Development Committee. He has previously served as President of the Young Lawyers Division and as Chair of the Convention Committee. Tim is an active member of the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys and the Wisconsin Association for Justice. He is a Past-President of the St. Croix Valley Bar Association. For six years, he chaired the 10th District Self-Represented Litigant’s Initiative. In 2003, he was named the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Pro Bono Attorney of the Year.
Tim is also active in his community. He is a Past-President of the New Richmond Area Chamber of Commerce, is currently Vice-Chair of the New Richmond Area Community Foundation and is on the Steering Committee for the New Richmond Leadership Trust Initiative. In 2008, he was named the New Richmond Area Citizen of the Year.
- Certified Civil Pretrial and Trial Specialist, National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- Selected to Wisconsin Super Lawyers 6 times
- AVVO Rating: 10 – “Superb”
- New Richmond Area Citizen of the Year (2008)
- Chair, Litigation Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, State Bar of Wisconsin (2003)
- President, New Richmond Area Chamber of Commerce
- President, Young Lawyers Division, State Bar of Wisconsin
- President, St. Croix Valley Bar Association
- Vice-Chair, New Richmond Area Community Foundation
- Steering Committee, New Richmond Area Leadership Trust Initiative
- Lecturer, “Defining Implements of Husbandry and Farm Vehicles: Now That’s Clear as Manure” (Breakfast with Bakke Norman).
- Presenter, “Becoming a Successful Leader” (State Bar of Wisconsin Young Lawyers Division Leadership Seminar)
- Moderator, “How to Impress or Annoy a Judge” (State Bar of Wisconsin Litigation Institute).
- Lecturer, “Capturing the Flag: Finding the Glory in Your OWI Trial” (Wisconsin State Public Defender’s Conference).
- Lecturer, “Knowing and Using Local Court Rules” (State Bar of Wisconsin).
- Lecturer, “Murder, Madness and Mayhem: Defending the Impossible Case” (Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers).
- Lecturer, “Judges and Lawyers Take Off the Gloves” (State Bar of Wisconsin).
- Lecturer, “Winning through Effective Legal Negotiations” (State Bar of Wisconsin).
- Lecturer, “How to Find Out What Your Clients Really Think of You” (State Bar of Wisconsin).
- Lecturer, “Effective Client Interview Skills” (State Bar of Wisconsin)
- University of Wisconsin Law School, JD, 1988
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, BA, Political Science, 1985