Future Leaders of the Legal Profession
Call for Nominations: 2022 Leadership Summit Nominations Due 12/20/21
Like never before, it is critical to the success of the legal profession and the State Bar of Wisconsin to identify future leaders. It is the only way to keep both the legal profession and the State Bar of Wisconsin strong and vital. If you know of a new lawyer who you believe would be a great leader in the profession, nominate that lawyer for the Leadership Summit. Your input in identifying those in the legal community who are interested in service to the profession is key to this process. We are looking for talented individuals described as follows:
- New lawyers not yet involved with the State Bar;
- Community and civic-minded lawyers;
- Those possessing the qualities and traits that make others want to follow them; and
- Candidates who would benefit from an introduction to State Bar opportunities.
How do you submit a nomination?
The Leadership Summit is a three-hour program and luncheon that brings together State Bar leaders, past and present, and provides the next generation of leaders the chance to explore State Bar involvement opportunities, gain insight from experienced State Bar leaders, and helps new attorneys find their niche.
We are committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in selecting candidates and encourage you to nominate diverse candidates. Over the past few years, anywhere from 37-46% of the Summit participants represented diverse groups.
What is the Leadership Summit?
Each year, twenty-four young lawyers nominated by State Bar leaders statewide attend the State Bar of Wisconsin Leadership Summit. Participants display leadership capabilities, demonstrate a strong commitment to the legal profession, and possess the potential to be the next generation of State Bar leaders.
“The summit is an invaluable opportunity for young lawyers to be recognized as emerging leaders in their communities and receive a personal introduction to the many leadership opportunities within the State Bar,” said summit chair Jesse Dill.
The Summit focuses on the benefits of taking on leadership roles, striking a balance between professional work and life demands, and introduces new lawyers to State Bar involvement opportunities. It provides a chance for candid conversation on the professional benefits of State Bar service and finding leadership roles. Finally, representatives from Committees, Sections and Divisions address leadership opportunities and practical steps for participation. Attendees who commit to volunteering are eligible to receive tuition scholarships, funded by the Wisconsin Law Foundation, to attend the State Bar Annual Meeting & Conference in June.
The Leadership Summit participants join the G. Lane Ware Leadership Academy participants on the last day of their training for an exciting and inspirational community leader keynote speaker and luncheon. Bringing the two groups together provides an excellent opportunity for lawyers from around the state to grow their professional network.
2022 Leadership Summit Date, Location and Cost
- Date: Saturday, April 9, 2022 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Location: State Bar Center, Madison
- Cost: The Leadership Summit is free of charge; parking is free; travel is at your own expense.
The State Bar offers a six day intensive Leadership Academy. Check out their webpage for program information and how to submit an application.
2021-22 Leadership Academy dates:
- Session 1: November 5 & 6, 2021
- Session 2: January 21 & 122, 2022
- Session 3: April 8 & 9, 2022
Schedule and Presenters
Are you a new attorney and interested in attending the Leadership Summit?
- Watch InsideTrack for call for nominations annually November through December.
- Ask your employer or a colleague to submit your nomination using our Leadership Summit Nomination Form.
- All nominations are reviewed by the Leadership Development Committee Summit Sub-Committee. Twenty-four candidates are invited to participate each year.
- For additional information, please contact Leadership Development Committee liaison Annette Ashley, email@example.com.