Organization: The Legal Aid Society is a 107-year old Milwaukee institution with an enduring reputation for providing top notch free civil legal services to income-eligible Milwaukee County residents. Our mission and our passion is equal justice for all. If you are interested in a legal career that makes a real difference, then the Legal Aid Society is for you.
Job Summary: Legal Aid's downtown office has a staff attorney position opening in its Family Court Guardian ad Litem Division. In this role, the staff attorney represents the best interests of children in custody and placement disputes between parents, paternity adjudications, marital presumption cases, and in child abuse injunction proceedings.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to conduct interviews and investigations, and engage in a daily motion hearing and trial practice
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and control deadlines
- Superior writing, editing, and research skills
- Ability to perform duties with independence and discretion
- Appreciation for the impact of AODA, education, and employment matters on children and families
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Juris Doctorate (JD)
- Admission to the Wisconsin State Bar
- Ability to read and write Spanish preferred, but not required
- Licensure with the State of Wisconsin
- Compliance with Chapter 35 of the Wisconsin Supreme Court Rules preferred
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law
- Familiarity with the GAL Practice Guidelines promulgated by the State Bar of Wisconsin Family Law Section + Domestic Abuse Guidebook for Wisconsin Guardians ad Litem.
- Successful completion of background check
Legal Aid offers a competitive salary based on experience and comparable to similar organizations in the Milwaukee Area. We offer a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision and life insurance, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO). Legal Aid recognizes the importance of a work-life balance. COVID-19 vaccination required
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, 3 professional references, and a writing sample to:
Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee
Colleen Foley, Executive Director
728 N. James Lovell Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Subject Line: Attorney, GAL Downtown
LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF MILWAUKEE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, CITIZENSHIP STATUS, RELIGION, AGE, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, MARITAL STATUS, DISABILITY, MILITARY STATUS AND ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC PROTECTED BY LAW.