Rural Mutual Insurance Company seeks an attorney with 5-8 years of civil litigation experience for an in-house claims management position. Rural Mutual acts as a Third-Party Administrator for a Wisconsin-only municipal insurance company. This position is responsible for managing a team of adjusters specializing in municipal/governmental entity liability claims, as well as overseeing complex litigation. This position requires the ability to offer outstanding customer service to both the insurance company client and its insureds. This position can be a work from home position or a remote position. If remote work is desired, travel to our Home Office in Madison will be required on occasion.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages a team of adjusters specializing in municipal/governmental entity claims, including personal injury, property damage, land use, and constitutional claims; ensures that claims are reserved appropriately and promptly reported to reinsurance; assists adjusters in the valuation and appropriate resolution of claims.
- Manages the Company’s relationship with outside counsel, including review of incoming Complaints, identification of coverage issues, and communication regarding Reservation of Rights letters, when necessary.
- Reviews pleadings, briefs, and other documents drafted by outside counsel prior to filing, when necessary.
- Directly supervises complex claims involving the Company and/or its insured(s).
- Communicates with outside counsel, company employees, clients, reinsurers, agents, adverse parties, and opposing counsel with professional diplomacy and discretion.
- Analyzes complex legal and factual issues while conducting extensive and well-reasoned legal research; stays current on state statutes and court decisions and analyzes how changes in the law affect the interpretation and enforceability of various policy provisions; assists with analysis of proposed insurance policy changes.
- Participates in weekly claims file reviews and acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience, including Company’s adjusters.
- Provides legal assistance to insureds and agents, as needed.
- Provides effective and timely information, legal advice, and other services for the Claims Department.
- Attends periodic policyholder and agent meetings and gives presentations on relevant topics.
- Responds to Office of Commissioner of Insurance complaints, as necessary.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Admission (or ability to be promptly admitted) to the Wisconsin State Bar.
- In-house insurance experience and/or Wisconsin municipal law experience is a plus.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume to:
Mark Schuster, VP Organizational Development
Ariella Schreiber, VP of Claims and General Counsel
Rural Mutual Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer