Summary: Rural seeks an attorney with 8+ years of experience to manage its Casualty Unit and TPA relationship with a Wisconsin-only municipal liability insurer. The ideal candidate will have experience litigating and evaluating high value liability claims, management experience, and be able to offer outstanding internal and external customer service. This is a remote position with travel anticipated throughout the State of Wisconsin. Travel to our Home Office in Madison will be required on occasion.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages Rural’s large loss/casualty claims unit, including first- and third-party personal injury, property damage/construction defect, bad faith, and appraisal claims and lawsuits.
- Manages Rural’s TPA relationship with a Wisconsin-only municipal liability insurance carrier, including municipal/governmental entity claims, personal injury, property damage, land use, alleged constitutional violations, and employment claims.
- Oversees claim reserves and ensures that claims are promptly reported to reinsurance, following all applicable reporting guidelines.
- Reviews and evaluates claims/litigation strategy, claim valuation, and appropriateness of settlements.
- Assists adjusters in the negotiations and resolution of claims and lawsuits.
- Provides effective and timely assistance and legal advice to adjusters, insureds, and agents, as needed.
- In some cases, directly supervises complex claims/cases involving Rural and/or its insured(s).
- Oversees and manages the relationship with Rural’s outside counsel and communicates with them regarding litigation strategy, file status, and progress.
- Reviews incoming Summonses and Complaints and evaluates same for coverage-related issues;
- Drafts (or assists with the drafting of) Reservation of Rights letters and communicates with insureds on the availability and extent of insurance coverage, if necessary.
- Stays current on state statutes and court decisions and analyzes how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation and enforceability of various policy provisions.
- Participates in weekly claims committees and acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience, including Rural’s adjusters.
- All other duties as assigned.
- 8+ years of relevant legal or insurance-related experience.
- A JD with relevant insurance coverage or defense litigation experience from an accredited law school.
- Admission to the Wisconsin State Bar, or the ability to be promptly admitted, is required.
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional decision-making, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Capable of working independently with little guidance.
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Bilingual abilities (Spanish, Hmong, etc.) a plus.
Please submit a Cover Letter and Resume to Ariella Schreiber at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rural Mutual Insurance Company (Rural) is an AM Best A+ (Superior) Rated and Ward’s Top 50 Property and Casualty insurance company located in Madison, Wisconsin. Rural was formed in 1934 to help farmers obtain affordable auto insurance. Rural now offers all lines of Property and Casualty insurance to Wisconsin residents. We are the number one writer of farm policies in the State of Wisconsin and offer a generous benefits package to our employees. Rural Mutual Insurance Company is an equal opportunity employer.