Would you like to join a thriving urban school district that is committed to elevating you in your profession?
If so, the Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) has much to offer you: a clear vision, a collaboratively-designed strategic framework, collaboration time, district support and excellent professional development opportunities.
Associate General Legal Counsel
Doyle Administration Building
Salary Range: 114,480.00 - 136,676.25 Annual Salary
Why You Should Work with MMSD!
The Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) is committed to Becoming a Model School District by striving to provide an anti-racist, culturally responsive, and inclusive atmosphere. MMSD actively seeks and encourages women and candidates of color to apply.
We have a simple but bold vision — to ensure that every school is a thriving school, that prepares every student to graduate from high school ready for college, career and community. We welcome applicants who will actively contribute to our ongoing commitment to making MMSD a thriving, welcoming environment for all students, families and staff.
We firmly believe in and are here to create a work environment that is challenging and rewarding, while supporting employees in their career path. We strive to provide, encourage, grow and develop a talented workforce that better supports and represents the diversity of our student population.
About Our District
The Madison Metropolitan School District is the second largest school district in Wisconsin. The district serves a beautifully diverse population of more than 27,000 students. More than half are students of color. Almost half come from low income households. Nearly one third are English Language Learners, and more than 100 languages are represented in our schools. Madison schools are committed to making this district a place where every child thrives.
Purpose of Position:
The Associate General Legal Counsel will assist in the creation of a successful working relationship with many areas of the District, including the Board of Education, Superintendent, Management Team, Human Resources and serve in the absence of the General Legal Counsel.
Title IX Coordinator
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Assists the General counsel where needed and necessary with the Board of Education and the Madison Metropolitan School District rendering service on a wide variety of legal issues arising in the generalist field of school law, including school district governance, finance, property, compliance, pupil matters, employment matters, tort liability, and general litigation.
B. Works in collaboration with District departments and provides legal guidance on special education, Title IX and other student issues.
C. Assists with complaints that are filed in relation to discrimination and harassment.
D. Represents the District and/or works with outside or insurance-appointed counsel in judicial and administrative proceedings.
E. Assists in the preparation of written legal opinions and prepares and/or reviews an assortment of other legal documents including pleadings, briefs, motions, contracts, and leases as needed and necessary..
F. Advises staff regarding the impact of administrative and judicial decisions upon the District.
G. Provides advice and counsel to the Superintendent
H. Advises personnel in the day-to-day operation by answering questions on a variety of legal topics including torts, board policy, open meetings, public records, pupil records, student rights, special education, Title IX, intellectual property including copyright and trademarks, etc.
I. Assists the General Legal Counsel as needed and necessary in their absence as parliamentarian at regular meetings of the Board of Education.
J. Provides advice and counsel on school law related issues to the employees of the District.
K. Reviews and recommends procedural and policy changes.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities to perform essential job functions:
1. Licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin, or able to be licensed at the time employment begins.
2. A minimum of five years experience in private practice or with a public agency with comprehensive working knowledge of the law applicable to the operation of governmental entities, and of school law issues in particular. New graduates will not be considered for this position.
3. Direct litigation experience.
4. Demonstrated abilities in effective written and verbal communications.
5. Experience with a variety of computer applications.
6. All positions require experience working cross-culturally and/or commitment to work toward improving one’s own cultural competence i.e., valuing difference/diversity, recognizing personal limitations in one’s skills and expertise, and having the desire to learn in these areas.
Ability to work under general safe and comfortable conditions where exposure to environmental factors is minimal and poses little to no risk of injury.
The Madison Metropolitan School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the District will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Job Posting requirements
1. Direct experience representing and resolving legal issues for K-12 public school districts.
2. Litigation experience in multiple forums (e.g., state court, federal court, administrative proceedings, etc.).
3. Working knowledge of Wisconsin law applicable to public schools and to governmental entities in general.
4. Experience and background conducting legal research using resources other than commercial, fee-based services.
5. Experience as a supervisor and evaluator of staff.
6. Demonstrated abilities in establishing positive working relationships with persons representing multiple and diverse interests.
Visit our website: Associate General Counsel