Organization: The Legal Aid Society is a 105-year old Milwaukee institution with an enduring reputation for providing top notch free civil legal services to income-eligible Milwaukee County residents. Our mission and our passion is equal justice for all. If you are interested in a legal career that makes a real difference, then the Legal Aid Society is for you.
Job Summary: Legal Aid’s Eviction Free MKE project involves a team of lawyers providing full eviction defense representation to Milwaukee County residents facing eviction. This position is part of an innovative 3-year pilot to change the landscape of evictions in Milwaukee and make the system more fair and equitable for all.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and control deadlines
• Superior writing, editing, and research skills
• Ability to perform duties with independence and discretion
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative
• Juris Doctorate (JD)
• Admission to the Wisconsin State Bar
• Ability to read and write Spanish, preferred
• Licensure with the State of Wisconsin
• Successful completion of background check
Legal Aid offers a competitive salary based on experience and comparable to similar organizations in the Milwaukee area. Starting salary is $48,500.00. Legal Aid recognizes the importance of a work-life balance, so our benefit package includes generous paid time off (PTO) and health, dental, vision and life insurance. COVID-19 vaccination required.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, 3 professional references, and a writing sample to:
Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee
Colleen Foley, Executive Director
728 N. James Lovell Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Applicants must include “Eviction Free MKE Attorney Opportunity” in the subject line of email submissions