This attorney will report to the Vice President & Associate General Counsel and advise Manitowoc on matters involving all forms of litigation, pre-dispute resolution and product safety matters (e.g., commercial, intellectual property, product liability, asbestos among others). This attorney will direct litigation strategy and manage litigation workflows, which will require significant interaction with external counsel and Manitowoc engineering, sales, product safety and technical staff. As Manitowoc develops new products and functionalities that raise product liability and/or safety issues, this attorney will work closely with the team to advise regarding legal and product safety requirements. This attorney will supervise a paralegal and product safety staff. The attorney will require substantive expertise in product liability litigation combined with excellent project management skills and sound judgment in managing cases and interacting with internal business clients.
• Advise Manitowoc on matters involving all forms of litigation, pre-dispute resolution and product safety matters (e.g., commercial, intellectual property, product liability, asbestos among others) and manage litigation workflows, interacting with external counsel on strategy and execution of litigation in various jurisdictions in the Americas.
• Coordinate responses to governmental investigations, proceedings and enforcement actions.
• Oversee claims resolution while liaising with outside insurance carriers.
• Review and comment on litigation documents prepared by counsel, attend hearings, mediations and trials.
• Responsible for developing and assessing case strategies, conducting and managing interviews of fact and expert witnesses, handling discovery requests, reviewing court filings and managing external counsel.
• Review Manitowoc publications, manuals and advertising materials from a product liability and safety standpoint.
• Coordinate and oversee technical input to product liability litigation and related research tasks.
• Provide feedback of information gained from product liability to departments responsible for design and development activities.
• Manage litigation budgets and work to minimize outside counsel expense levels.
• Provide support on regulatory matters.
• Supervise outside lawyers, product safety staff and a paralegal.
• Provide support to business groups responsible for handling customer complaints and claims.
• Possess sound business and legal judgment.
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders and guide decision making.
• Manage litigation issues in a manner that protects the best interests of Manitowoc, as well as Manitowoc’s integrity, reputation and assets while ensuring Manitowoc operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Effective supervisory management skills with the ability to oversee projects delegated to subordinates and outside counsel.
• Juris Doctorate from a top tier law school.
• Minimum of 5 years of prior litigation experience, preferably with product liability litigation and exposure across multiple areas of litigation and adversary proceedings (e.g., commercial, intellectual property, asbestos among others).
• Fully licensed to practice law in the United States and able to practice in-house in Wisconsin.
• Maintain the highest standards of ethics and professional integrity.
• Ability to manage a litigation portfolio and a variety of claims and projects.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively at all levels within the organization.
• Exhibit initiative and credibility as a trusted advisor to the business teams.
• Must be willing to travel.
• Experience in the heavy construction industry preferred.
To apply, please visit: https://www.manitowoc.com/careers or send your resume to Kaitlyn.firstname.lastname@example.org