STATUS: Part-time at 75% (30 hours/week)
Evident Change is a nonprofit that uses data and research to improve our social systems. We believe our systems should help people achieve their greatest potential, not create barriers to their success. That’s why we partner with systems professionals and communities to get to the root of their biggest challenges, and give them the tools and knowledge to achieve better outcomes for everyone involved. Because when we join forces with those who work in our systems and the people they serve, we make our systems—and our society—more equitable from the inside out.
Evident Change seeks a strategic leader to serve as our Chief Legal and Operating Officer (CLOO). The CLOO has a combined role providing direct oversight and strategic leadership of human resources (HR) and administrative operations and serving as in-house legal counsel. This person will be responsible for overseeing Evident Change’s legal affairs and providing counsel directly to the CEO, the Board of Directors, and senior management. As a member of Evident Change’s executive team, the person in this position is responsible for leadership in operational excellence and process improvements that enable the organization to advance its goals and mission.
This is a 75% full-time equivalent (FTE) position with an annualized salary range, accounting for it being a part-time position, of $121,000–185,200 based on experience, qualifications, and geographical location. You will have access to a rich benefits portfolio that includes health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. Our rewards package also offers paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave along with two retirement plans. We welcome all qualified applicants regardless of race, national ancestry, age, religion, sex, ability, skin color, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected category. We strive to be welcoming to all applicants. Diversity is more than a legal 2 requirement for us; it is a core value that we center in our work and our culture. Visit https://www.evidentchange.org/what-we-do/racial-equity-diversity-and-inclusion for more information.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THE ROLE?
Legal Strategy and Advisory Duties
• Develop and lead the organization’s legal strategy.
• Serve as an authority on employment laws and regulations.
Legal Compliance and Risk Management
• Ensure compliance in legal and regulatory issues.
• Coordinate with internal teams to maintain relevant operational risk inventories and prepare reports.
• Lead contract and program staff in developing and implementing quality assurance practices related to contracts, memorandums of understanding, data-sharing agreements, intellectual property agreements, non-disclosure agreements, teaming agreements, etc.
• Ensure necessary insurance coverage to meet contractual requirements.
• Advise the CEO and senior management.
• Consult with the CEO and leadership team to develop strategic goals, policies, and major projects.
• Partner with senior management to ensure the organization sets and meets needs, goals, and performance standards.
• Identify opportunities for organizational process improvements and look for methods to improve quality, efficiency, and productivity.
• Collaborate with the senior leadership team to develop and implement plans for addressing operational infrastructure needs and staffing capacity. Human Resources and Administration Manage the overall strategy, purpose, and vision of the HR and administration departments. 3
Application of Evident Change’s Equity Value
• Collaborate with others to develop and maintain policies, protocols, and practices that advance an equitable workplace culture.
• Execute duties and responsibilities using an equity lens and an awareness of how one’s own intersecting identities shape and influence decision making; including the ways in which the constructs of power, privilege, and oppression affect working relationships and effective job performance.
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO YOU NEED?
• Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school and member of a United States bar association in good standing.
• Prior legal experience, ideally in-house or firm experience working with in-house legal teams.
• Experience leading organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies.
• Current, extensive legal knowledge of employment laws, standard practices, and regulations.
• Experience linking HR programs to the organization’s overall strategy.
• Effectiveness in coaching senior management on HR-related and legal matters while maintaining ongoing constructive relationships.
• High level of emotional intelligence and capacity to manage complex interpersonal dynamics when conducting conflict resolution activities.
• Ability to build and maintain trust and confidence among all stakeholders.
• Ability to operate with discretion and confidentiality.
Do you have other attributes that we should consider? Tell us! We want to hear about them.
WHO ARE OUR STAFF?
Evident Change staff have a wide variety of backgrounds. We employ people with formal training and those who have grown their skills through personal interest, experience, and other ways of learning and share a commitment to our mission. We want people who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and lived experiences to the work we do. Diversity helps make our work more informed and effective.
If you are passionate about organizational culture and operational excellence, and our mission and values resonate with you, we invite you to consider applying. Please apply by completing this survey, https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2KDCPK7. If you need assistance with an accommodation due to a disability, email HR@evidentchange.org or call (800) 306-6223.