For the Voith US Inc., LEGAL GBS North America department, we are looking for:
Associate Regional Counsel
Summary: Voith US Inc. is hiring a labor and employment lawyer, or a generalist with experience in employment law, who can also support a variety of other legal tasks such as: reviewing commercial contracts, performing legal research, advising on workers’ compensation claims and health, safety and environmental issues, managing litigation and directing outside counsel. This position supports all of the Voith businesses in North America, including Voith Paper, Voith Turbo, Voith Hydro and Digital Ventures. The position is based in Voith’s offices in Appleton, Wisconsin.
Provide employment law support by:
• Evaluating the legal risks associated with business reorganizations, reductions in force, separations, and disciplinary and performance management issues in both union and non-union environments;
• Investigating and defending the business organizations against EEOC and state agency discrimination charges by preparing responses and supporting exhibits, and retaining and directing outside counsel when necessary;
• Providing legal advice regarding the handling of labor grievances and disputes and supporting the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements;
• Developing, drafting and updating templates and policies, and assisting with implementation of and compliance with employment policies;
• Advising on state and federal FMLA, the ADA, EEOC requirements, OWBPA, and wage and hour laws, including by proactively monitoring for any relevant changes;
• Drafting Non-Compete and Confidentiality Agreements (NCAs) and assessing the legal risks associated with enforcing and defending NCAs; and
• Identifying risk areas and proactively developing training programs about employment practices and policies.
Draft, review and negotiate contracts including terms and conditions, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts.
Provide legal support on safety-related issues, OSHA and workers’ compensation.
Assist with the management of claims, litigation and insurance matters.
Various other duties (such as those listed in the Summary) to be assigned as required.
• J.D. degree from an accredited law school.
• Admission to the State Bar of Wisconsin or eligible to be a registered in-house counsel in Wisconsin.
• Three (3) years of experience as an attorney with a focus on labor and employment matters.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Sound judgment and business acumen, a client-service focus, and the ability to prioritize and meet urgent deadlines.
• Confidence and diplomacy, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Desirable qualifications: labor law experience, Canadian employment law experience, experience working in a complex business organization, in-house experience, and/or experience with the tasks listed in the Summary.
• The employee is required to talk and/or hear in an office setting (noise level is low). The employee is frequently required to stand and walk in an office environment from 4-8 hours. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; lift; stoop, or crouch.
• The vision requirements: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception and adjust focus.
• The job may require occasional travel.
This job description is not all encompassing, however, is intended to be a general description of the responsibilities of this position.
About the Voith Group
The Voith Group is a global technology company. With its broad portfolio of systems, products, services and digital applications, Voith sets standards in the markets of energy, oil & gas, paper, raw materials and transport & automotive. Founded in 1867, the company today has more than 20,000 employees, sales of € 4.2 billion and locations in over 60 countries worldwide and is thus one of the larger family-owned companies in Europe.
Voith US Inc. is an EEO/AA/VEVRAA compliant Federal Contractor and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.