Organization Name: Wispact, Inc.
Address: Madison, WI 53714
Current Location Status: Temporarily remote – will move back to onsite beginning in 1st Quarter of 2021
Salary: $55,000-$65,000 a year
Job Type: Full-time
Attn: Human Resources
226 Corporate Drive
Madison, WI 53714
Email: org khayde wispact wispact khayde org
This position provides legal and technical expertise and support to the Senior General Counsel, and others within the organization as needed, by researching legal issues related to the set-up of trust sub-accounts and distribution of trust fund assets. The Attorney Trust Advisor’s workload is determined primarily by delegated duties from the Senior General Counsel.
Confidentiality – Maintain the highest level of confidentiality with regard to Wispact Beneficiaries and Company information.
Respect – Maintain the highest level of respect towards all individuals Wispact interacts with through its day to day business.
Professionalism – Maintain the highest level of professionalism in all business interactions.
Business Ethics – Maintain the highest level of ethical standards when acting on behalf of Wispact.
Teamwork – Maintain the highest level of teamwork and open communication.
Continuous Improvement – Maintain the highest level of efforts towards continuous improvement and willingness to change.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Primary functions of the position
• Research and assist the Senior General Counsel in communicating to Wispact staff the latest Human Resources and legal policies affecting the work environment.
• Deliver presentations to Wisconsin Elder Law & Special Needs Community, as directed by the Sr. General Counsel.
• Communicate and collaborate with Elder Law & Special Needs Community to quickly address their concerns regarding special needs trust creation and management.
• Perform community outreach, extensively network, and frequently deliver presentations throughout Wisconsin, as directed by Sr. General Counsel.
• Serve as a customer service representative and assist potential beneficiaries with questions they may have about Wispact.
• Communicate with and assist creating attorneys regarding trust creation issues and issues at Social Security Administration or Department of Health Services arising after trust creation.
• Keep up-to-date with law changes regarding trusts and estate planning in Wisconsin and throughout the nation.
• Attend extensive CLE training, both in Wisconsin and across the country.
• Perform extensive legal research and present findings to Senior General Counsel.
• Research legal issues related to the establishment of Wispact trust sub-accounts and the distribution of trust fund assets
• Perform the initial review on Wispact applications to be sure all legal requirements are met when setting up a new trust. Communicate findings to the Senior General Counsel.
• Provide legal advice and support to Beneficiary Specialists when questions arise regarding the distribution of trust fund assets.
• Communicate with Beneficiaries; beneficiary’s attorney; and/or family members as appropriate.
Outreach and raising national awareness of Wispact
• Develop with Marketing Coordinator presentation materials targeted to specific audiences on Wispact basics, advanced Wispact topics, and updates on Wispact.
• Participate as needed in outreach presentations to various referral sources, especially attorneys, state-wide, as directed by the Sr. General Counsel.
Program and policy development
• Research and recommend new program initiatives in collaboration with Senior General Counsel.
• Continually seek to improve and expand Wispact’s services, presenting ideas to the Senior General Counsel.
• Assist in the development of new company policies regarding distributions to beneficiaries as needed.
• Stay abreast of new developments and all changes in applicable laws affecting Wispact trusts. Provide updates to Senior General Counsel.
Other duties as assigned
• Kind and competent customer service to creating attorneys, current beneficiaries and their families, as well as potential beneficiaries and their families.
• Assist with the preparation of marketing materials containing legal information including presentations, brochures, guidelines, etc.
• Transition unfunded accounts to funded accounts, ensuring that all documents are complete and up-to-date.
• Complete internal audits/projects as unique needs arise, as directed by the Senior General Counsel.
• Oversee Creation Grant program, including approving applications and keeping track of grants awarded.
NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• The incumbent may be required to work additional hours during times of heavy workload, including evenings and weekends.
• The incumbent must remain flexible to work extra hours as needed to address client needs.
• Wispact places a high level of importance on teamwork and a willingness to perform duties which may not be included in this Job Description
Position Supervises: This position does not have supervisory duties.
Required Knowledge and Competencies:
• Juris Doctor degree with focus on Elder Law, public benefits planning, and/or special needs trusts.
• Licensed to practice law in Wisconsin.
• Currently in good standing with Wisconsin State Bar Association.
• One+ years’ experience researching public benefits programs – including POMS/SSI, Medicaid fair hearing, Medical Assistance Eligibility, HUD, and other relevant benefits programs.
• Strong legal research and writing skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals from attorneys to Board Members to individuals with a variety of physical and intellectual disabilities.
• Ability to interpret regulations and provide consultation to attorneys and others assisting beneficiaries with Wispact trusts.
• Familiarity with Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Adobe, and the ability to quickly learn and utilize new software as the organization requires.
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Ability to use a keyboard extensively.
• Ability to sit, stand, bend, lift, see and hear.
• Ability to sit for long periods of time.
• Manual dexterity for use of calculator and computer keyboard.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs on an occasional basis.
• Ability to speak on the telephone in order to conduct business.
Wispact, Inc. places a high level of importance on teamwork and a willingness to perform duties which may not be included in this Job Description.
SUPERVISED BY: Senior General Counsel
Job Type: Full-time
• 401(k) Matching
• Dental Insurance
• Disability Insurance
• Flexible Schedule
• Health Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Vision Insurance
Schedule: Monday to Friday
COVID-19 considerations: Wispact moved to remote work on 3/17/20, which is the current business model. Occasional in-office days, primarily for training/job shadowing, with appropriate social distancing and company supplied PPE, may be necessary, but only on very rare occasions.
Experience: Legal Research: Three years (Preferred)
License: JD degree with focus on elder law and public benefits (Required)
Wispact Describes Its Culture as:
• Detail-oriented – quality and precision-focused
• Outcome-oriented – results-focused with strong performance culture
• People-oriented – supportive and fairness-focused
• Team-oriented – cooperative and collaborative
Company's website: www.wispact.org
Benefit Conditions: Only full-time employees eligible
Work Remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19