Ralph Cagle Takes Top Slot in State Bar Elections
Ralph M. Cagle
Sherry D. Coley
William C. Gleisner
April 25, 2014 – Ralph M. Cagle, Hurley, Burish & Stanton S.C., Madison, won the race for State Bar president-elect, defeating Kevin J. Palmersheim, Haley Palmersheim S.C., Madison, 3,495 votes to 1,973. Cagle’s term begins July 1 when Robert R. Gagan, Green Bay, succeeds Patrick J. Fiedler as State Bar president.
"I am grateful for this opportunity to serve the needs and aspirations of Wisconsin lawyers," said Cagle. "One pleasure of this campaign has been running alongside Kevin Palmersheim. Kevin's thoughtful ideas, energy, and commitment are leadership assets. I hope we can persuade him to continue to invest in the State Bar.
"I will do my all to vigorously advance our profession's ideals, to assist our members in their work and lives, and to fulfill our public responsibilities as lawyers," he said. "I look forward to helping Bob Gagan have a successful year as president, and to working with him, Pat Fiedler, the Board of Governors, George Brown, and the State Bar staff in the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead."
In other State Bar races, Sherry D. Coley, Godfrey & Kahn S.C., Green Bay, was elected to a two-year term as secretary, defeating Matthew J. Duchemin, Quarles & Brady LLP, Madison, 3,161 votes to 1,700.
In a three-way race for a three-year term as Judicial Council representative William C. Gleisner, Law Office of William C. Gleisner, Hartland, defeated Catherine A. La Fleur, La Fleur Law Office S.C., Milwaukee, and Laura Skilton Verhoff, Stafford Rosenbaum LLP, Madison, 2,174 votes to 1,506 and 1,490, respectively.
Those elected to serve two-year terms as district representatives on the State Bar Board of Governors are:
- John A. Birdsall, Birdsall Law Offices S.C., Milwaukee
- Andrew J. Chevrez, Milwaukee
- Jill M. Kastner, Legal Action of Wisconsin Inc., Milwaukee
- Randy L. Nash, O'Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing S.C., Milwaukee
- Amy E. Wochos, Milwaukee County Courthouse, Milwaukee
- Jeffrey R. Wisnicky, Kewaunee County Corporation Counsel, Kewaunee
- Kimberly K. Haines, Waukesha County Corporation Counsel, Waukesha
- Sarah A. Ponath, Law Offices of Sarah A. Ponath LLC, Brookfield
- Deanne M. Koll, Bakke Norman S.C., Menomonie
- Catherine J. Dorl, State Public Defenders Office, Madison
- Anthony J. Gray, Institute for Global Ethics, Madison
- Christopher E. Rogers, Habush Habush & Rottier S.C., Madison
- Laura Skilton Verhoff, Stafford Rosenbaum LLP, Madison
- Thomas P. Schwaba, Schwaba & Sparks LLP, Marinette
- Kelly J. Mattingly, State Public Defenders Office, Janesville
- Byron B. Conway, Habush Habush & Rottier S.C., Green Bay
- John E. Danner, Harrold, Scrobell & Danner S.C., Minocqua
The Government, Nonresident, Senior, and Young Lawyers division elections were held electronically. Find out who was elected.
All terms begin on July 1.