Wisconsin Lawyer: Coming Together: The State Bar's First 125 Years - Sidebar:

State Bar of Wisconsin

Sign In

News & Pubs Search

  • Wisconsin Lawyer

    Coming Together: The State Bar's First 125 Years - Sidebar

    Dianne Molvig

    Share This:
    To commemorate the State Bar's 125th anniversary in 2003, this article looks at some of the key events, issues, and personalities that shaped the State Bar from the late 1950s, an era of activity and energy that would surpass anything seen in the organization's first 80 years.

of old photos

    Top left: U.S. Supreme Court Justice Tom Clark (center) was the main speaker at the dedication of the first Bar Center in 1958. With Clark are (from left): Phillip S. Habermann, Bar executive director; Herbert L. Terwilliger, Wausau, president-elect; Justice Clark; Charles L. Goldberg, Milwaukee, president; and Francis Wilcox, Eau Claire, dedication committee member.

    Designed by Prof. James S. Watrous, chair of the U.W. art history department, the figure of justice on the building's façade now resides at the Dane County Courthouse.

    Bottom: Reviewing their comments prior to dedicating the Bar Center are (from left) Charles Goldberg, Justice Grover Broadfoot, and Harold Lichtsin.

    Top right: Meeting in the Bar Center library are (from left): Donald E. Soquet, Green Bay; John A. Kluwin, Whitefish Bay; Robert C. Lovejoy, Janesville; and Leo C. Hartman, Juneau.

    collage of public service publications

    The Bar's public service activities include educating the public about the role of lawyers in society (see Law Day ad, c. 1968, at left) and about the rule of law and civic responsibility (see marriage pamphlet, c. 1961, at bottom). In 1964, Wisconsin Bar Foundation president Alfred E. LaFrance presented a plaque and replica 1890s pioneer law office to the Wisconsin Historical Society's Stonefield Village (see photo inset). Established in 1951, the Foundation is the Bar's charitable arm. As Bar president in 1955-56, LaFrance worked to integrate the Bar.