Sign up today to Volunteer for the National Mock Trial Championship!
The 2014 National High School Mock Trial Championship is fast approaching, so sign up today to volunteer!
All championship information, as well as volunteer registration can be found at nationalmocktrial2014.wisbar.org.
March 26, 2014 – Want to help high school students have the experience of a lifetime? Volunteer to serve as a member of a judging panel or general volunteer during the 2014 National High School Mock Trial Championship in Madison from May 6 to 10.
Volunteers are needed to help with a wide variety of activities, ranging from running events to judging rounds. With nearly 500 hundred volunteer slots to fill, the State Bar of Wisconsin is hoping to attract individuals from all over the state. Volunteers can sign up for a morning or evening shift, or opt to spend a few days at the tournament.
This is the first time in more than 20 years that the State Bar will host the National Mock Trial Championship. Students, parents, teachers and coaches will be traveling to Madison from all over the country, plus Guam, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, and South Korea. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to get involved, it may not come around for another 20 years!
General Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteers will assist with the execution of events and general production of the championship.
- Registration Table: checking in and registering teams. Volunteers are needed from Wednesday, May 7 to Saturday, May 10.
- Courtroom Liaison: assisting the judging panels. Volunteers are needed on Friday, May 9 and Saturday, May 10.
- Information Table: provide information to teams, volunteers and observers at the Dane County Courthouse. Volunteers will need to be available either Friday, May 9 or Saturday, May 10.
- Pedestrian Travel: help direct pedestrian travel between the various buildings and events. Volunteers are needed on Friday, May 9 and Saturday, May 10.
- Pre-Tournament Preparation: help the staff ensure that everything’s ready to go for the arrival of the teams. Volunteers are needed on Tuesday, May 6.
- Post-Tournament Completion and Wrap up: make sure that the events have been properly closed. Volunteers are need on Sunday, May 11.
- Meeting Monitor: assist with the National Mock Trial Board meetings at the Concourse Hotel. Volunteers are needed on Thursday, May 8 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Pin Exchange and Tailgate Party: Thursday, May 8 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Concourse Hotel.
- Judges Reception: Friday, May 9 from 5 to 9 p.m. at the Madison Club.
- Costume Contest, Trivia and Ice Cream Social: Friday, May 9 from 8:30 to 10 p.m. at the Concourse Hotel.
- Awards Gala: Saturday, May 10 from 6 p.m. to 12 p.m. at Monona Terrace.
Judging Panel Opportunities
Qualified attorneys and judges may volunteer to be a part of a mock trial judging panel, which consists of one presiding judge and three scoring judges. To qualify, attorneys and judges must have previously judged at least two rounds of mock trial within the past five years. An orientation will be provided on Friday, May 9 and Saturday, May 10 before each round. There will be two rounds on Friday and two more on Saturday. Judges and attorneys may volunteer to judge more than one round.