PINNACLE Real Estate & Business Law Institute and Swearing In of Pat Fiedler Slated for June in Middleton
Find the experience and topics you need to hone your skills and advance your career at the State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE® Real Estate and Business Law Institute, June 13-14, in Middleton. Join your colleagues the night before at a reception and the swearing in of Patrick J. Fiedler as the 58th president of the State Bar of Wisconsin.
May 1, 2013 – The State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE® Real Estate and Business Law Institute is the place to expand your practice or stay current in real estate and business law. Choose from more than 20 breakout sessions and three plenary sessions and earn up to 13.0 CLE and 3.0 EPR credits. This year’s institute is at the Madison Marriott West in Middleton.
Thursday, June 13, Plenary Sessions
Pre-Institute Plenary – Legal Research Using Fastcase and Books UnBound, presented by Kristin Huotari, State Bar of Wisconsin. Learn how to effectively and efficiently utilize Fastcase and Books Unbound in your due diligence research. Fastcase, a State Bar of Wisconsin member benefit, offers unlimited online legal research through its comprehensive 50-state and federal case law database. The database includes coverage of the federal appellate courts, bankruptcy courts, the U.S. Supreme Court as well as Wisconsin statutes, administrative code, and case law. Books Unbound is an interactive online library of secondary law which contains links to primary law via Fastcase.
Opening Plenary – iPad Basics for Wisconsin Lawyers, presented by Nerino J. Petro, State Bar of Wisconsin. So you bought an iPad (if you haven't you might be thinking about it)… now what? Wisconsin lawyers are using the iPad to lighten their load and become more mobile. Bring your iPad to this fast paced, hand’s on session and learn how you can start using it in your daily workflow.
Join Your Colleagues at the Presidential Swearing In the Night Before the Institute
On Wednesday evening, June 12, Patrick J. Fiedler will be sworn in as the 58th president of the State Bar of Wisconsin. Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson will administer the oath of office. Fiedler will address issues affecting the State Bar and the legal profession in the coming year.
A reception begins at 4 p.m. and the ceremony begins at 5 p.m. Immediately following the swearing-in ceremony complimentary hors d’oeuvres, beer, wine, and soda will be served. All State Bar members are invited to this event.
Optional luncheon and CLE presentation: The Bonehead Play, Professor Mark D. Yochum, Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh. Prof. Yochum will explore the ethics of sportsmanship as a model for a professionals practice. The title refers to the mistake Fred Merkle made in a storied baseball event of 1908, wherein the failure to attend to a simple rule leads to professional disaster and even death. The talk will tell his story and, perhaps, provide guidance on how we deal with errors in others and, inevitably, errors in ourselves. The cost to attend this session is $20.
Breakout CLE Sessions
- Close a Door, Open a Window: The Good and the Bad in the New Landlord Tenant Laws
- Damn That Angie and Her Little List Too: Bringing Claims Against Contractors
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act – What You Need to Know
- Governance Issues in Limited Liability Companies
- Health Care Reform Legal Update and Potential Impacts
- Historic Preservation Designations: Tax Credits and Incentives
- How Aggrieved is Aggrieved? Liability for Mortgage Bankers, Brokers, and Servicers Under Wisconsin’s Chapter 224
- Measuring Loss Under a Title Insurance Policy
- Perils of Collecting Fees
- Real Estate Development Agreements
- Relationships Among Law Firms: Of Counsel, Affiliations, and Office Sharing
- The Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act: A Proposal for Wisconsin
- Upcoming Changes in Wisconsin in Partnership Law: The Revised Uniform Partnership Act
- Special Problems in Foreclosing Condominiums
- Subrogation Provisions in Leases and Condominium Documents
- The Small Family Businesses: Starting Up and Breaking Up
- 10 Most Important Financial Covenants in Commercial Loan Agreements
- Business Valuation: When to Use Various Methods
- Licensing Issues For Finders in Securities Offerings, Solicitors for Investment Advisers and Others Paid in Securities-Related Transactions: A Dialogue with the Wisconsin Securities Administrator
- John Wiley & Sons: Its Impact on US Merchants and Competition In The Global Marketplace
The institute is produced with special cooperation from the State Bar’s Real Property, Probate & Trust and Business Law sections.
What are Institutes?
In 2011, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE began producing several multi-day CLE institutes. These events feature focused, highly relevant CLE programming in two to four areas of practice. They may include a vendor/exhibitor expo hall and social events. Some of these institutes will be held at destination locations, such as resorts.
How to Register
Tuition, not including Thursday’s luncheon and CLE program, is $379 for members; $189.50 for Ultimate Pass Silver subscribers, and is included in the cost of the Ultimate Pass Gold subscribers. The ticketed Thursday CLE, The Bonehead Play, and luncheon cost an additional $20. Attendees must indicate the “Including optional CLE luncheon” selection when registering for the institute. For more program information or to register, call the State Bar at (800) 728-7788 or (608) 257-3838 or register online.
A Look Ahead: Other Institutes
In addition to the June institute, PINNACLE is planning the: