Class Description #4206
Grade 13 Exempt
Position is subject to the availability of funding.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direction and authority of the Prosecutor, the purpose of the position is to be responsible for prosecution of Domestic Violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking cases on the Menominee Indian Reservation and coordinate and work with the Courts, Law Enforcement, Probation-Parole, Domestic Violence, and Sexual Assault Workers to reduce domestic violence on the Menominee Reservation and encourage arrest procedures and enforcement of protection orders. This position will require court appearances, drafting of legal documents, drafting of policies and meeting and consulting with the law enforcement, courts, domestic violence, and sexual assault workers; probation-parole officers, domestic violence victims and sexual assault victims and the like.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Draft Legal documents as directed by the Prosecutor.
• Appear in court to prosecute dating violence, sexual assault and stalking offenders, both before the Bench and Jury.
• Perform legal research and make court appearances as directed.
• Prosecute domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking offenders.
• Draft domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking related policies and procedures.
• Meet and consult with Law Enforcement, Courts, Probation-Parole Officers, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Workers and the like.
• Actively participate in Coordinated Community Response team and SANE/SART.
• Meet with witnesses for trial preparation.
• Meet with victims to determine what course of legal action is appropriate.
• Coordinate with and monitor day-to-day duties of Sexual Assault Advocate.
• Consult with Tribal Prosecutor on any complex cases in making determinative decisions.
• Follow policies and priorities as set forth by the Tribal Prosecutor in charging and prosecuting cases.
• Perform related duties as directed.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Degree from an accredited school of Law, plus membership and good standing in any State Bar or the District of Columbia Bar with ability to obtain membership in State Bar of Wisconsin within one (1) year; supplemented by up to two (2) years previous experience and/or training involving a working knowledge of applicable Federal, Tribal and State statutes and ordinances, knowledge of criminal law, judicial procedures and rules of evidence; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Apply at www.menominee-nsn.gov. Include letters of recommendation from immediate past employers with the completed application.
Candidates selected for hire will be subject to a background check/drug test and employment will be contingent on the results of said check/test.
• Must possess the ability to analyze, assess and organize material orally and in writing.
• Must possess demonstrated good moral and ethical behavior.
• Must maintain strict confidentiality.
• Must adhere to the ABA Code of Professional Responsibility.
Requires the ability to perform mid to upper level data analysis, including the ability to coordinate, strategize, systemize and correlate, using discretion in determining time, place, and/or sequence of operations within an organizational framework. Requires ability to implement decisions based on such data, and overseeing the execution of these decisions.
Requires the ability to apply principles of negotiation. Performs such in formal situations within the context of legal guidelines.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization:
Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or provide simple but continuous adjustment on equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
Requires the ability to utilize consulting and advisory data and information, as well as reference, descriptive and/or design data and information as applicable.
Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may require ability to utilize principles of fractions and/or interpret graphs.
Requires the ability to apply principles of logical or synthesis functions involving planning and directing of interrelated activities or multiple departments. Ability to deal with several concrete and abstract variables in working out approaches to major problems.
Requires the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the direction, control and planning of an entire program or set of programs.
Must be able to work in a properly collegial relationship with co-workers. Must be able to interact with other departments within the Tribe in the spirit of compromise. Must be able to take on additional responsibilities in a spirit of cooperation and teamwork. Must be able to maintain an atmosphere of trust, fairness and respect and be mutually supportive with co-workers. Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality