State Bar of Wisconsin Bilingual Lawyer Referral Specialist
The State Bar of Wisconsin is searching for a bilingual (English/Spanish), customer-focused individual to support the work of our Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) Program. The LRIS Specialist is the first point of contact with those in the community who are calling our referral service. You will be assessing callers' legal needs and making the appropriate referral to attorneys or other agencies within the community. In addition to responding to callers, this position will also provide program assistance to ensure that reporting and tracking procedures are in place.
Who We Are
The State Bar of Wisconsin is a professional association, created by the Wisconsin Supreme Court, for all attorneys who hold a Wisconsin law license. With more than 25,000 members, the State Bar exists to serve its members and the public by promoting the law and access to justice. We aid the courts in improving the administration of justice, provide continuing legal education and other services for our members, support the education of law students, and educate the public about the legal system. The State Bar of Wisconsin also provides public services -- such as attorney referrals and public education – and supports programs that provide reduced-fee legal assistance for low-income state residents.
What You Will Love
- The people and the culture! We care about our work, our members, and our colleagues. We work hard, but we also make time for fun as an organization. When pandemics aren't happening, we've enjoyed time together in-person at holiday dinners, multicultural potlucks, and trivia competitions. Most recently, we've gotten together for fun events like virtual Bingo and a cooking class over Zoom.
- Working with a mission-driven organization that acts with integrity, promotes justice, and addresses systemic racism and implicit bias in the legal system.
- Team support. Like our state's motto, your colleagues at the State Bar want to see you move “Forward" and grow in your career. We encourage and support professional development opportunities, and your individual pursuit of continuing education. Your growth contributes to our team and the organization.
What You Will Do
- Compassionately and professionally answer incoming lawyer referral calls; actively listen to assess the callers' needs for legal assistance and available resources. Based on the information obtained, refer callers to the appropriate panel member attorney, public agency, or legal resource.
- Enter accurate data for all calls into the State Bar database. Prepare and distribute program reports to attorney and client; track responses.
- Ensure that attorney member records are kept up-to-date add new members, and process renewals.
- Research available legal and community resources, and help maintain a directory of resources that's used to provide information to callers.
- Proactively seek out learning opportunities to build a base of knowledge of the legal system, areas of legal practice, and options available to consumers.
What We Are Looking For
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) communication skills
- The ability to communicate in a professional and compassionate manner with diverse groups of people on a wide range of issues while remaining open-minded and non-judgmental.
- At least one year of experience working in a community service, human service, social and/or legal services role, and a motivation to learn.
- The ability to quickly think through problems and provide possible solutions, prioritize work to meet deadlines and accomplish goals, and work as a team to accomplish program objectives.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing business needs.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to stay friendly and calm when callers are under stress.
Compensation and Benefits
A starting wage of $17-$20 per hour, depending on experience, with the ability to grow. The State Bar of Wisconsin offers excellent benefits including generous vacation and sick time, excellent health and dental insurance, 10 paid holidays, flexibility, and an 8% 401(k) contribution!!
How To Apply
To apply, visit www.wisbar.org/careers to upload your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations. This position will be posted until it is filled but priority will be given to applicants who submit early, so don't wait. Apply today!
The State Bar values diversity, equity, and inclusion. Candidates who share these values and reflect the diversity of our community are encouraged to apply.