opinions, voices & ideas
- A Conversation on Supreme Court Term Limits
- Judicial Election Steering Committee members discuss a Judicial Task Force proposal to amend the Wisconsin Constitution to change the term of office for Wisconsin Supreme Court justices to a single elected 16-year term. Read how the task force arrived at its recommendation and how the steering committee is encouraging its acceptance.
- Surrogacy Law Still Uncertain
- The clearest conclusion to be drawn from the Wisconsin Supreme Court's decision in Rosecky v. Schissel, a surrogacy-agreement case, is that Wisconsin law concerning such agreements is still far from well-defined.
- Public Trust and Agency Discretion Principles Intact
- Following Rock-Koshkonong Lake District v. Wisconsin DNR, the bedrock principles of the public trust doctrine in Wisconsin – the civil right of the public to use and enjoy navigable waters, and the broad rule of standing to protect that rig ht – remain firmly intact.
- Conflict Waivers for Lawyers Turned Board Members
- State Bar ethics advisors Tim Pierce and Aviva Kaiser discuss the need for advance waivers of conflicts when attorneys serve on clients’ boards of directors.