BEFORE THE ARBITRATOR
In the Matter of the Arbitration of a Dispute Between
BANGOR EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT
BANGOR SCHOOL DISTRICT
Ms. Deborah K. Byers, Executive Director, Coulee Region
United Educators, on behalf of
Mr. Robert W. Butler, Staff Counsel, Wisconsin Association of
School Boards, Inc., on
behalf of the District.
The above-captioned parties, herein "Association" and "District", are parties to a
bargaining agreement providing for final and binding arbitration. Pursuant thereto, hearing
held in Bangor, Wisconsin, on November 11, 1997. Pursuant to the parties' request, I there
issued a bench decision which this Award augments.
Based upon my review of the evidence and the respective positions of the parties, I
issue the following
1. The District will continue to pay drivers/instructors their regular route rate of
for training purposes.
2. All employes will receive payment for all time actually worked before and/or
3. Any additional backpay relating to the May 5, 1997, grievance will only relate
to one year before the grievance was filed, i.e. to May 4, 1996. The hourly rate of pay for
such hours worked after May 4, 1996, will be $8.50 an hour. No drivers must pay back any
money received for hours worked before May 4, 1996, for which they have been paid $6.50
4. All drivers will be paid $8.50 an hour for all past extracurricular trips
to July 1, 1997, and they shall continue to be paid $8.50 an hour for all such extracurricular
for the duration of the successor to the 1995-1997 contract. The District must make such
retroactive payment by December 11, 1997.
5. Drivers will be paid $8.50 an hour for all other non-route driving time spent
such activities as meetings and maintenance. Drivers who gas up their buses as part of their
regular route driving duties will be paid their regular route rate. Drivers who attend
perform other work which is conterminous to their regular route driving duties will be paid
regular route rate of pay.
6. In order to resolve any questions arising over application of this Award, I shall
retain my jurisdiction for at least sixty (60) days.
Dated at Madison, Wisconsin, this 18th day of November, 1997.
Amedeo Greco /s/
Amedeo Greco, Arbitrator