In the Matter of the Arbitration
of a Dispute Between
LOCAL 929 (STREETS AND PARKS), AFSCME, AFL-CIO
CITY OF MARSHFIELD
Mr. Jeffrey J. Wickland, Staff Representative, Wisconsin Council 40, AFSCME, AFL-CIO, appearing on behalf of Local 929 (Streets and Parks), AFSCME, AFL-CIO.
Ruder, Ware & Michler, S.C., Attorneys at Law, by Mr. Dean R. Dietrich, appearing on behalf of the City of Marshfield.
The undersigned arbitrator met with the parties on October 1, 1996, and, prior to opening the hearing, reviewed the background of the captioned matter with the parties. Following said review, the parties requested the undersigned to express his thoughts as to a reasonable resolution of the matter. After hearing the arbitrator's recommendations, the parties agreed it would be in their best interests to accept the following recommendations of the arbitrator as the basis for resolving the grievance filed by Tom Kohl on February 12, 1996:
1. The Grievant Tom Kohl shall be assigned to regularly scheduled overtime at the zoo on a regular basis of one weekend in every four weekends to be effective October 12, 1996;
2. Tom Kohl will be assigned regular ice rink/sweeping overtime assignments as part of the rotation of overtime assignments with other department employes when such overtime assignment is deemed necessary;
3. Tom Kohl will be assigned the duties of zookeeper in those instances (1) when the zookeeper is not available for work due to illness or vacation; and (2) in other instances when management determines that a replacement is necessary;
4. The City will pay back wages in the amount of $500, subject to appropriate state and federal withholdings, as a separate check to Tom Kohl; and,
5. That this arbitration award shall not be used as precedent by either the City of Marshfield or Marshfield City Employees Union Local 929 for the resolution of any other disputes between the parties.
Dated at Madison, Wisconsin, this 17th day of October, 1996.
By Douglas V. Knudson /s/
Douglas V. Knudson, Arbitrator