In the Matter of the Arbitration
of a Dispute Between
DOOR COUNTY COURTHOUSE EMPLOYEES
LOCAL 1658, AFSCME, AFL-CIO
DOOR COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Mr. Gerald Ugland, Staff Representative, Wisconsin Council 40, AFSCME, AFL-CIO, on behalf of the Union.
Mr. Dennis D. Costello, Corporation Counsel, on behalf of the County.
The above-entitled parties, herein "Union" and "County", are privy to a collective bargaining agreement providing for final and binding arbitration. Pursuant thereto, hearing was held on February 6, 1996, in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Based upon the facts there adduced, I issue the following Award.
What disposition should be made of Scale House Operator Linda Heard's August 3, 1995, grievance?
Having considered this matter, I find as follows:
1. Grievant Linda Heard's hours shall be 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., which are to be the same hours as the scaling operation. Heard will be able during pay status to eat lunch on her job.
2. Heard is entitled to walk off her job at exactly 4:00 p.m. each day irrespective of whether weighing out has been completed and irrespective of whether her duties for that day have been completed.
3. The County cannot assign checkout duties or any work normally performed by the Scale House Operator to anyone else except when Heard is absent from work on any leaves recognized under the contract or under the law.
4. If the County finds it necessary to operate the scale before 8:00 a.m., after 4:00 p.m., or at any other time, it must first offer that overtime work to Heard.
5. This Award shall not set a precedent for any other grievances.
6. To resolve any questions which may arise regarding the application of this Award, I shall retain my jurisdiction indefinitely.
Heard's grievance is disposed of in the manner set forth above.
Dated at Madison, Wisconsin, this 16th day of February, 1996.
By Amedeo Greco /s/
Amedeo Greco, Arbitrator