In the Matter of the Arbitration
of a Dispute Between
BARRON COUNTY HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
EMPLOYEES LOCAL 518, AFSCME, AFL-CIO
BARRON COUNTY (HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT)
Mr. Guido Cecchini, Staff Representative, on behalf of the Union.
Weld, Riley, Prenn and Ricci, S.C., by Ms. Kathryn J. Prenn, on behalf of the County.
On August 18, 1993, hearing in this matter was held in Barron, Wisconsin. Upon the basis of the entire record, I issue the following Award:
1. Except as provided below, seasonal employes do not accrue seniority.
2. As used herein, seniority refers to the original date of hire for those seasonal employes who successfully complete their probationary periods and who become permanent employes. If such employes have a break in service as seasonal employes, their seniority shall be based upon their most recent hire date of continuous service. Upon successful completion of their probationary periods, the names of such employes shall be added to the official seniority roster.
3. A seasonal employe who becomes a permanent employe shall be credited for seasonal employment and shall serve a minimum of an additional 3 months' probationary period.
4. For the purposes of vacation accrual and progression, a vacation accrual and progression date shall be established for such employes. Upon successful completion of their probationary periods and at least one year's credited work experience as a seasonal employe, such employes shall receive one week's vacation. Thereafter, such employes will receive additional vacation based on their subsequent vacation anniversary dates.
5. Any conflicting contractual provisions shall be resolved by the parties in negotiations for a successor contract.
6. This Award shall apply to grievants Mark Whitman and John Dietrich and any employes hired after today.
7. In order to resolve any questions which may arise over application of this Award, I am retaining my jurisdiction indefinitely.
Dated at Madison, Wisconsin this 16th day of September, 1993.
By Amedeo Greco /s/
Amedeo Greco, Arbitrator