To commemorate the State Bar's 125th anniversary in 2003, this article looks at some of the key events, issues, and personalities that shaped the State Bar from the late 1950s, an era of activity and energy that would surpass anything seen in the organization's first 80 years.
Vol. 76, No. 6, June
Top left:U.S. Supreme Court Justice Tom Clark (center) was the main
speaker at the dedication of the first Bar Center in 1958. With Clark
are (from left): Phillip S. Habermann, Bar executive director; Herbert
L. Terwilliger, Wausau, president-elect; Justice Clark; Charles L.
Goldberg, Milwaukee, president; and Francis Wilcox, Eau Claire,
dedication committee member.
Designed by Prof. James S. Watrous, chair of the U.W. art history
department, the figure of justice on the building's façade now
resides at the Dane County Courthouse.
Bottom: Reviewing their comments prior to dedicating the Bar
Center are (from left) Charles Goldberg, Justice Grover Broadfoot, and
Top right: Meeting in the Bar Center library are (from
left): Donald E. Soquet, Green Bay; John A. Kluwin, Whitefish Bay;
Robert C. Lovejoy, Janesville; and Leo C. Hartman, Juneau.
The Bar's public service activities include educating the public
about the role of lawyers in society (see Law Day ad, c. 1968, at left)
and about the rule of law and civic responsibility (see marriage
pamphlet, c. 1961, at bottom). In 1964, Wisconsin Bar Foundation
president Alfred E. LaFrance presented a plaque and replica 1890s
pioneer law office to the Wisconsin Historical Society's Stonefield
Village (see photo inset). Established in 1951, the Foundation is the
Bar's charitable arm. As Bar president in 1955-56, LaFrance worked to
integrate the Bar.